I am a civil engineer specialized in the field of environmental and water engineering. I did my Bachelors from Punjab Engineering College India and Masters in water resources from Virginia Tech. I have about 5 years of relevant experience and am currently working as a water resource consultant with ARCADIS in Richmond, Virginia. Before attending Virginia Tech, I worked with Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd for two years in their project management division.
I have passion for world water and sanitation challenges and desires to bring sustainable solutions to these concerns. In past four years, I have authored several articles and gave presentations at more than five conferences. My technical skills mainly lie in hydraulic and statistical modelling, floodplain analysis, stream restoration, and storm-water management. I am also interested in exploring the physics and as well as philosophy behind the river and open channel flows and how one can bring them back to their natural state of equilibrium to mitigate their impacts of flood and other environmental hazards.
- “Classifying streams on the basis of elevation above mean level-A statistical approach” ASCE-World water conference, 2014.
- “simulation-based approach for stream restoration structure design: Rock vanes” ASCE’s Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 2015.
- “Impact of dam removal on sediment transport in Rivers” ASCE-EWRI Currents 2015
- “Water-Allies: A collaborative approach to solve water & sanitation challenges in India” ASCE-EWRI Currents 2015
- “Design Methods for In-Stream Flow Control Structures”. National Cooperative Highway Research Program Reports, 2014
- ” Analysis of Scouring in River Bends”, Stream Ecology & Restoration Conference, Raleigh, NC, 2014
- ” Hydraulic geometry of sandy and gravel streams”, ASCE- PORTS 2013
- “Establishment of Universal regression models for prediction of stream morphology based on relief, climate and watershed variables”, Geological Society of America, North-Central Conference, 2013
- “Elevation Based Classification of Streams and Establishment of Regime Equations for Predicting Bankfull Channel Geometry”, Master’s thesis, Virginia Tech, 2013
- “Classic energy problem in open-channel flow”, Wikipedia, 2011
- Member of Chi Epsilon – National Civil Engineering Honour society, 2012
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi- National Honour Society, 2012
- Annual Student Paper Award, Chesapeake Water Environment Association, 2013
- Graduate Technical Best Paper Award, ASCE World Water Conference, Portland, 2014
- Finalist at Graduate Research Award, ASCE Ports Conference, Seattle, 2013
- Winner of Student Design Water Challenge, WaterJam , AWWA conference, 2012
- Travel fellowship for attending Dredging conference 2012 at San Diego, CA
- Travel grant award by Geological Society of America for attending North-Central annual conference, 2013
- Young Professional Photography Competition, ASCE World Water Congress, Austin TX, 2015
- Undergraduate Excellence Award, Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh, India, 2008 & 2009
- Outstanding Capstone Project Award on “Designing of Earthen Dam & Open Channels”, PEC, Chandigarh, 2009
Floodplain Studies & Hydrologic Modeling
Hydrologic Modelling for Alamance Creek / Greensboro, NC. As a lead designer, developed no rise model for the existing and proposed conditions using the tools of HEC-RAS, and Geo-RAS.
Sewer Rehabilitation Capital Improvement Project- WSSC
Project Lead for one of the largest sewer and manhole rehabilitation WSSC project for North America. Responsible for preparation of contractual task order documents, cost estimation, and coordinating with Clients, Cad Drafters, Engineers & Project assistants.
Storm water assessment- Chesterfield County, VA
Inspection & assessment of more than 5,000 storm water assets and utilities for the different areas of Chesterfield County, including curb inlets, drop inlets, ditches, concrete and PVC pipes, culverts, storm water ponds, riser, manhole.
Water Distribution system modelling- Dinwiddie County, VA
Lead designer and engineer for water distribution modelling using WaterGems.The project included running extended period simulations, calibration of model based on field data, allocation of junction demands, analysis of tank and pump data.
Professional Societies/ Activities
- Vice-President of ASCE Virginia Section: 2015- Present
- Co-Chair of Engineers without Borders, Central Virginia, Richmond Chapter: 2015- Present
- Chair of ASCE Environmental & Water Resources Committee: 2014-2015
- Planning Monitoring & Design Lead for Josephine Fog School Water Supply Project, Kafue, Zamiba: 2014-2016
- Founder of Water & Sanitation Initiative “Water-Allies” : 2014- Present
- Mentor for Engineers Without Borders, Virginia Commonwealth University Student Chapter Drainage Design Project: 2014- 2016
- Professional Member of Water For People, Virginia Section: 2014-2015
- Board of Directors for ASCE Environmental committee, Virginia Tech : 2011-2013
- Graduate Student member of American Water Works Association, Virginia section : 2011-2013
- Graduate Student member of Geological Society of America : 2012-2014